Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Deselecting

Hey guys, had a tough conversation with a disciple this morning. I've been sensing that our time together was just something he felt he needed to day, i.e. "I can't say no to my pastor." So I gave him an out. Encouraged him, but left it in his court. If he wanted to meet together again, I would be open, but he would have to engage in it, and be the one to initiate. Have you guys ever had to deselect a disciple? How did you do it? What did you learn from it? How was the relationship after that?

2 comments:

Pheaney said...

It sounds like you did a good job. I'm curious to know if he does re-engage.

Personally I haven't had to deselect as you're describing... I do see a lot of wisdom in giving things a timeframe from the very beginning (3 months, one year, 3 years, whatever)... that way you can end it if you need to.

Kyle O'Hagan said...

That was the first for me. I never did give it a time frame. I will might do that next time. But Jesus' disciples didn't know how long he was going to walk with them. Maybe it should be a mistery?