Tuesday, December 2, 2008

DDP Discussion

I've been struggling to get my mind around writing a DDP. Anyone else?

Here are a few starters that I know I want to include ideas from...

Luke 2:52- And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man.
(In this verse I'm seeing a focus on a child's intellectual, physical, spiritual, and social growth)

Quote from James Dobson (on pg 54 of Bringing up Boys)- "If I may be permitted to offer what will sounds like a hyperbole, I believe the future of Western civilization depends on how we handle this present crisis. Why? Because we as parents are raising the next generation of men who will either lead with honor and integrity or abandon every good thing they have inherited. They are bridges to the future. Nations that are populated largely by immature, immoral, weak-willed, cowardly, and self indulgent men cannot and will not endure. These types of men include those who sire and abandon their children; who cheat on their wives, who lie, steal, and covet; who hate their countrymen; and who serve no god but money. That is the direction culture is taking today's boys. We must make the necessary investment to counter these influences and to build within our boys lasting qualities of 1) character, 2) self-discipline, 3) respect for authority, 4) commitment to the truth, 5) a belief in the work ethic, and 6) an unshakable love for Jesus Christ. The pursuit of those objectives led me to undertake the writing of this book."
(italics & numbers mine)

5 Smooth Stones for Parenting from Chip Ingram:
1) Teach them to Suffer well (Genesis 37-50, I Peter 2:21-23)
2) Teach them to Work for the Lord (Genesis 2:15, Colossians 3:23)
3) Teach them to Mange their lives wisely (Genesis 1:26-28, Matthew 25:14-30)
4) Teach them to Discern good from evil (Exodus 3:5-6, I Peter 1:15-16)
5) Teach them to live Grace-Filled lives (Genesis 3:21, Ephesians 2:8-10, I Peter 1:13)

I'd love to hear any of your initial thoughts... or sound off on these!

3 comments:

Dan L said...

Pheaney stopped by my office and took my notes and published them. Where is the "honor" in that? ... kidding... well-studied and well-stated Pheaney. As I think more, I'll say more.

steve pichaske said...

Thanks for helping to prime the pump, Pheaney...I know you couldn't have been using Dan's notes, because everything was spelled correctly!

Good words from Chip and Dr. Dobson...Luke's thoughts aren't bad either.

Other important characteristics that Ingram includes in Effective Parenting in a Defective World" include: Development of their full potential (I'm thinking of Proverbs 22:6, "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.") along with a healthy understanding and practice of discipline.

I'm also trying to properly include emphasis on (a) wanting my kids to develop a heart for serving others and (b) desiring righteousness that's paired with a heart for those who don't know Christ as Savior and Lord.

paul said...

bill was right. you can't be lazy when you think about this.My brain hurts!Dan you'll always say more.